By means of AFM we studied RNA-protein interactoin
in RNA-containing tobacco mosaic virus (TMV): TMV RNA release from virus capsid and
TMV-coded movement protein (MP) complexes with TMV RNA.
It was found out that:
- TMV RNA-MP complexes and RNA protruded from partly uncoated TMV particles can be visualized on freshly cleaved mica
- Length distribution of denatured TMV RNA visualized on mica has 3 peaks: 0.7 microns, 1.4 microns and 2.0 microns
- The structure of TMV RNA-MP complexes depends on RNA:MP molar ratio, which is in "beads-on-a-string" and "thick string"
conformations at the MP:RNA molar ratio of 20:1 and 60:1 respectively.
- MP molecules are distributed along the polynucleotide chain of RNA
- Interaction of RNA with MP leads to unfolding of RNA